[ltp] ibm-acpi brightness problems on the X60

Dieter Jurzitza linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:59:27 +0100

Hi Henrique,
hi Frederik,
in case I do not boot (just the grub-screen) I have exactly 8 different lev=
els=20
of brightness. This is always true (for me) in any mode of operation, wheth=
er=20
I load acpi/ibm-acpi or I don't. So I can hardly imagine this is a linux ac=
pi=20
issue. And this corresponds to 7 changes through 7 key hits (on Pos1 / End)=
=2E=20
8 levels makes a lot of sense (to me) from a digital standpoint (using 3 bi=
t=20
to store the information).

If I boot without acpi enabled and run into single user mode I can use FN-F=
7=20
to switch forth and back between LCD and CRT. This is not possible any more=
=20
as soon as the acpi kernel module is activated.

=46N-F2 (lock screen) does not work with bios control. FN-F3 doesn't either.

However, I have a German keyboard and on my X60 there is FN-F3 that switche=
s=20
the display to dark if one does not touch the brightness keys. As soon as I=
=20
change the brightness only once the FN-F3 combination does not work any mor=
e.
I am sure that this does not shade too much light on the issue, but I am=20
willing to provide more information if needed.

I have been discussing issues with SuSE people since I use openSUSE 10.2, t=
hey=20
tols me I should file a bug against the X server but still: if I boot witho=
ut=20
X active (single user mode) and only activate acpi and the functionality=20
=46N-F7 is gone and echo "video_toggle" > /proc/acpi/ibm/video does nothing=
 I=20
can hardly imagine this is due to a X11 issue.

Just my 2 cents here ...

Take care

Dieter Jurzitza

Am Donnerstag, 8. M=E4rz 2007 08:05 schrieb Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2007, Fredrik Wendt wrote:
> > Using the key combinations it's clear that we actually have 8 different
> > levels (on the eightth (8th) key hit, nothing happens), the proc-acpi
*****
=2D-=20
=2D----------------------------------------------------------

                                \

if you really want to see the pictures above - use some font
with constant spacing like courier! :-)