[ltp] Re: t60 hangs when using wired ethernet

Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:24:32 +0000

Jeff Lessem wrote:
> Jiang Qian <jqian@physics.harvard.edu> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:07:19AM -0700, Jeff Lessem wrote:
>> Do you still have windows installed? If so does it happen under windows,
>> too? The first thing to do is to rule out hardware problem.
>
> The original Windows is no longer on the machine, but I installed
> Windows XP into the 2GB swap partition.  After 12 hours of wired
> network traffic (large pings, file copies, movie playing from a
> network share) the computer has not crashed.
>
> My typical way of testing the machine under Linux is to use the tbench
> network benchmark.  That will cause the machine to hang in 10-120
> minutes.  I tested a different T60 running tbench from a livecd and it
> ran without problem for 5 hours.  That same livecd and tbench will
> crash the problematic T60.
>
> At this time, the problem seems to be specific to this computer
> running Linux.  Could it be a hardware problem that only Linux
> tickles?  I'm sure if the in kernel e1000 driver caused a hang on the
> T60, it would have been mentioned previously on this list.

If it helps, my T60p (Ubuntu edgy, e1000) works just fine. I get about
30 days uptime (and then the wretched ati binary driver crashes X).

Could you possibly have a memory problem? I'd try running memtest86
overnight.

Regards,

Richard