[ltp] Getting screensaver to ignore mouse movement?

Sun, 11 Mar 2007 03:52:27 +0000

Matt Graham wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 21:18, after a long battle with technology,
> Richard Neill wrote:
>> Has anyone else had the problem where the infinitesimal drift
>> (about 0.3 pixel/minute) of the trackpoint causes the
>> screensaver/DPMS to never activate?
>
> In general, when I've seen the Trackpoint's drift for more than about 2
> seconds, I've seen the firmware autocorrect for the drift pretty
> quickly.

Yes - the firmware is very good at fixing the drift so it isn't
noticeable to the user. One pixel per 3 minutes is only noticeable if
you set out to measure it!  But it does stop kde's screensaver from
activating.

However, xscreensaver doesn't have this problem: it treats tiny mouse
movements (< 10px in a certain time) as negligible.

-------

One supplementary bug. xscreensaver now fails to put the display into
power-off mode. This is definitely a bug. Oddly:

1) xscreensaver's power management DPMS settings do take effect, and are
shown by xset -q

2) Manually setting DPMS timeouts (xset dpms xxx yyy zzz) does work. But
if I let xscreensaver set the same values, it doesn't.

3)xset dpms force off    does what I want.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

Richard