[ltp] advice/comments on the T60

Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:44:01 +0000

Peter wrote:
> Hi gang.
>
> I want to buy a Thinkpad T60 and install Linux on it.  I am looking for advice
> or comments on such an endeavour.

I have a T60p. Hope I can be of use.

> LINUX DISTRIBUTION
> I have not yet decided which distribution I will use.  I was thinking Gentoo
> but then I thought of giving Arch a try.

Suggest you try Ubuntu first - it's such an easy installation from the
LiveCD, and you can test that everything works as it should. A neat
trick is to boot from a persistent home on USB key.

> DRIVERS/PROBLEMS
> Are there any pitfalls or known issues I should be aware of?  Is the Thinkpad
> wireless network adapter compatible?

The T60p wifi just works with Ubuntu. The ati graphics works OK with the
ati driver, although I'd rather have had a free one. I haven't tested
sleep or suspend, or the modem.

One more piece of advice: if you at all can, get the 15" 1600x1200 pixel
screen. It's *so* good :-)

Richard