[ltp] advice/comments on the T60

Jon Escombe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:51:12 +0000 (GMT)

> Hi gang.
>
> I want to buy a Thinkpad T60 and install Linux on it.  I am looking for advice
> or comments on such an endeavour.

I am running FC6 on a T60 (2007-63G) with 14.1" SXGA display, ATI X1400 graphics, and Intel 3945 wireless.

For me, the 14.1" SXGA screen hits the sweet spot in terms of resolution, size/weight, and battery life.

It's reasonably painless to keep the ATI fglrx drivers up to date through the livna repositories, and desktop effects work once Xgl is installed (although it would be easier if the ATI drivers supported AIGLX).

Likewise the ipw3945 wireless drivers are easy to compile or install from RPMs, and the card works well with NetworkManager on WEP/WPA/WPA2 networks.

Suspend and hibernate work fine after a couple of small configuration tweaks. All in all, am very happy with the combination of FC6 and this laptop..

Regards,
Jon.