[ltp] advice/comments on the T60

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 07:45:17 -0600 (CST)

> From: Peter <pmatulis@sympatico.ca>
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:38:51 -0400

> I want to buy a Thinkpad T60 and install Linux on it.  I am looking for
> advice  or comments on such an endeavour.
>
> LINUX DISTRIBUTION
> I have not yet decided which distribution I will use.  I was thinking
> Gentoo  but then I thought of giving Arch a try.

I'm using Fedora. Long-time happy user.

> DRIVERS/PROBLEMS
> Are there any pitfalls or known issues I should be aware of?  Is the
> Thinkpad  wireless network adapter compatible?

I'm thinking of switching to CentOS just for driver stability. They keep
the same kernel API for years and backport security fixes so you can keep
the same drivers.

You can't get an IPS screen new. Neither can Lenovo. They are looking for
a new suppler.

The Intel wireless works with a third-party repository. Kernel update
times are a little annoying, but much easier than they used to be.

Suspend to memory works almost every time (say 98%). I use it a few times
a day.

Don't bother with a bay battery: They lose life quickly and weigh more
than the optical drives.

IrDA says it works, but I haven't been able to hotsync my PDA with it yet.
I haven't tried WWAN or Bluetooth drivers.

The T60 is a great machine. There's more info on running Linux on them here:
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60p

Chris