[ltp] Slightly OT: wifi througput, overhead and goodput?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:09:16 -0400

Hi all:
	To all the network gurus out there, these questions has been
bugging me for a while and haven't been resolved through all the google
search and wiki reading. I've been trying to make a sense of how good
the ipw2200 card of my T43 talk with my WRT54GL router and what is the
possible bottleneck of the network.

1. I read on wikipedia[1] that the maximum throughput of 802.11g is
24.7Mb/s, in contrast with the maximum data rate of 54Mb/s. How does the
discrepancy come about? I thought this has something to do with only
half of the channel is available, but that should give 27Mb/s.

2. As I read here[2], even the throughput is not the unidirectional data
transfer rate. Goodput is a better measure. For example, due to tcp
overhead, only 94.92Mb/s is possible for the 100Mb network. So does the
similar overhead apply to wireless network? Or does the wireless network
have an even bigger overhead? Is this overhead already taken into
account in the reduction from 54 to 24.7Mb/s in question 1.?

3. To put it all together, when I download one 131MB file via ftp from
my desktop(connected to wired port of router) to my laptop(connected to
the wireless port), the log of vsftp report a download rate of
2893Kbyte/sec.  That is 2893*1024*8/1,000,000=23.7Mb/sec. This is the
one direction effective goodput[2], I suppose. What percentage am I from
the theoretical maximum of the unidirectional tcp goodput, combining
consideration of the previous two points?

	Any comment or enlightenment would be most appreciated. If you
find wikipedia entries cited here to be wrong, please correct them or I
can do the typing for you:)
								  Jiang

Reference:
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g#802.11g