[ltp] Webcams that fit on Z-series LCD bezel

Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:11:55 -0700

The Z-series LCD panel has a protruding lip on the inner-facing edge
which makes it a little bit tricky to fit a webcam on it.  I wanted to
post my experiences with webcams and also see what other people have
found.

So far I have found:

Looking closely at various models on display in the store, many
immediately seemed like they would not fit because the clamp is too
narrow and not designed for a bezel with a lip as the Z-series has.
This unfortunately includes some of the cool-looking notebook models
from Logitech and other brands.

So far I've tried 3 models: Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000, Creative Live!
Ultra, and Micro Inovations Zoom 2.0 Webcam.  All of them will clip on
to the bezel, but in my opinion the LifeCam has the best fit.  It rests
directly on top of the bezel while the others actually sit above it
somewhat because of the way the clamp is designed.  So the LifeCam is
more stable.  Still, the LifeCam is not perfect in that it does not
actually lock into place to the point where the webcam will never fall,
although the way the clamp closes it does fit very tightly and would
only fall off if you were to try to close the lid with it attached or
tilt the entire notebook to some extreme angle.  It would be ideal if
the clamp were spring loaded to keep more clamping pressure on the
bezel.  But the way it is, it does hold fairly well.

As for Linux drivers, the LifeCam is supposed to be supported in the
next release of the GSPCA driver (http://mxhaard.free.fr/liensspca.html)
according to the develper himself.  I forgot to check with him about the
LifeCam VX-6000 which I am considering upgrading to since it supports
USB 2.0.