[ltp] T60 Fan speed

Alfredo Matos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:18:20 +0100

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 00:55 +0000, Alfredo Matos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop is getting very hot under extremely heavy loads, and i'm
> trying to increase fan speed, but it stays very silent, which makes me
> wonder if it is actually running at full speed. ibm-acpi says the
> following:
>
> $ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
> status:         enabled
> speed:          3767
> level:          7
>
> This is the maximum i can set. I read on Thinkwiki.org that the T60
> reaches 4500 rpms.
>
> Can anyone confirm this ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alfredo Matos

Hi everyone,

To sum this up, i did some testing with /proc/acpi/ibm/fan, my findings
are the following:

- Full speed fan cooling almost never kicks in (i wasn't able to get it
to full speed in auto, despite the high temperatures)
- Using the disengaged mode works to get full steam going, and I hit
5500 RPMs. The problem (which is probably not a problem) is that after
enabling disengaged, the fan takes a while to speed up, and the fan proc
entry takes even longer.
- After the disengaged mode is on for a while, temperatures dropped
substantially. I'm now in the 50 degree range, instead of upper 70's,
which for me is far more sane and comfortable (even on the lap).

regards,

Alfredo.