[ltp] T60 Fan speed

Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:12:01 -0300

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 12:02 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > The entire thing is going away.  It will work like it does for hwmon,
> > which doesn't have names at all.  Turn off PWM and you will have
> > disengaged/full-speed mode.
>
> I'll keep using my patched version, thanks. I don't use hwmon or
> whatever PWM is, and my fan works just fine... no need to go breaking
> what isn't broken.

Heh, all versions, including the ibm-acpi.sf.net patched ones and the one in
the linux kernel, will implement sysfs.  Mind you, I am not going to remove
the /proc interface anytime soon, so yes, you can just keep using that for
at least one more year even if you want newer versions of your kernel or the
patches.  It just won't be renamed from "disengaged" to "full-speed", even
if I do agree "full-speed" is far better in hindsight, so if you want to
rename it, you'll have to patch it yourself...

And the /proc interface *is* broken.  Because there are two sides for every
interface, and the "userland" side of the ibm-acpi /proc interface that
resides in many applets out there needs to be put away like the rotten,
brain-starved, flesh-eating zoombies they are (you people using sscanf in
disgusting ways to parse /proc/acpi/ibm/* know who you are!).

The kernel side has the usual procfs problems, and the directives are clear:
move everything that has nothing to do with processes away from procfs.

  Henrique Holschuh