[ltp] X30 linux installation

Steve Thompson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:53:00 -0400 (EDT)

--- Daniel Maier <nusse@teamidiot.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:15:28PM -0400, Steve Thompson wrote:
>
> > Suspend to ram and suspend to disk work quite well, with one minor
> caveat.
> >  I have a custom script for handling ACPI events.  It interprets a
> > close-lid event as a trigger to suspend to RAM.  FN-F4 starts a
> suspend to
> > disk.  After booting, suspend to RAM works as expected; closing the
> lid
> > suspends, and then opening the lid wakes up the system and it proceeds
> as
> > normal.  If I do a suspend to disk, subsequent close-lid events invoke
> > suspend to RAM, but when the lid is opened I must press the power
> switch
> > to bring the system online.
>
> Similar problem here. Resuming through the lid-switch does not work
> always. Sometimes it just needs two seconds, sometimes the
> powerbutton has to be pressed.

Well, I have isolated it to the case as above: suspend to disk apparently
twiddles something that changes the behavior of lid-open events.

> > Suspending seems to require an instantiated X session.  Before I made
> > work, suspending from the console worked, but the video adapter would
> not
> > come back.  This is not a big deal, but it is a bug.  Documentation I
> have
> > read indicates this is a Linux kernel problem.
> For me the display stays black no matter wether X is running or not.
> The trick which works here is booting with acpi_sleep=s3_bios.

I'm not quite sure that's the solution, but it may be.  That command line
option in my grub config file is a holdover from an earlier attempt at
using the suspend2 patch with 2.6.19.something.  At the time I had not yet
configured X and gave up playing with it.  Recently I accidentally hit
FN-F4 while running 2.6.20 and was surprised to find it working.  Usually,
of course, accidental keypresses and typos destroy filesystems.

Perhaps someone noticed my karma balance was way out of wack and made a
long overdue adjustment.  :)

> > I have 2.6.20.4, but the ndis wrapper doesn't work with it yet.  I
> suspect
> > I must upgrade.
>
> Why are you using ndiswrapper? Both wifi mini-pci cards shipped by
> IBM should work native

See my previous message.

Incidentally, I happen to be running the IBM bios version 1.5 with
embedded controller firmware version 1.2.   I wonder if it is worth the
trouble to update it to current given the touble and risk.  All things
considered, it seems that Linux doesn't really care what bios code is
running so long as it can get at the various tables that describe the
system.

Regards,

Steve