[ltp] Re: X30 linux installation

Steve Thompson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:23:53 -0400 (EDT)

--- Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > Incidentally, I happen to be running the IBM bios version 1.5 with
> > embedded controller firmware version 1.2.   I wonder if it is worth
> the
> > trouble to update it to current given the touble and risk.  All things
> > considered, it seems that Linux doesn't really care what bios code is
> > running so long as it can get at the various tables that describe the
> > system.
>
> I can't remember which BIOS version I had, but suspend-to-ram only
> started
> to work (with ACPI) after I upgraded (about a year ago).  It always
> worked
> with APM.

I never had much luck with APM way back when I had my previous laptop.
I'm happy that things have progressed to the point where I don't have to
spend an inordinate amount of time just to get things to work.  Of course,
nowadays there are so many different things to get working that it still
takes time to set it all up, but at least it isn't torture.

Occasionally I regret not going with a canned distribution, but at least
I'm learning things that I would not otherwise see in that instance.

Regards,

Steve