[ltp] T23 usb boot problem

Simon Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 May 2007 15:33:46 +0100

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 5/1/07, Olek A. <brodo@o2.pl> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently made a bootable USB stick in order to boot my T23.
>> I used latest Knoppix CD as a source.

Why don't you just use the CD?

>> T23 displays "missing operating system" and nothing more.
>> I tried all Bios-setup-usb startup combinations but without luck.

Do you have a working operating system that it can boot on the hard disk?
If so, your USB stick has something (hardware or software) that the T23
doesn't like.
If not, then it's probably not even trying to boot the USB.

>> Using other desktop PC it went fine booting properly.

ThinkPad BIOSes are known for being a bit picky when it comes to hardware.

>> What's wrong with this T23 ?
>> I searched in IBM pages (Bios versions, etc, mine bios is 1.17) but I
>> found no
>> solutions at all.
>>
>> Any suggestions folks ?

You have pressed F12 at startup and told it to boot the USB?

> Can you verify that T23s even support USB boot?  Not all thinkpads do.

Yes it does, however it will refuse to use some USB sticks for some reason.

Hope this helps
Simon