[ltp] Re: USB 2.0 external hard drives

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 01 May 2007 15:54:04 -0400

>> I looking to buy an external hard drive to backup (not archive) my
>> laptop.  It has USB 2.0.  I am looking for a desktop solution, i.e.,
>> don't need nor want to pay for portable powered USB drives.
>> Capacity 80GB to 160GB range.  Any recommendations and/or condemnations?

> I'd recommend not getting an external *drive*, but rather an
> external *enclosure*.  You can put whatever drive you want
> inside that enclosure.  Right now I have a 200-GB drive in
> a MacAlly PHR-100A enclosure to my right:
> http://macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=138

Actually, most external drive's enclosure can be opened and its disk
replaced with another.  The only problem is that this is not guaranteed and
you might not know what's inside beforehand.  E.g. I recently bought a WD
"MyBook" external 500GB drive and I discovered that it is difficult to open
(some non-essential parts pretty much have to be broken), but also that it
uses an SATA drive, whereas most enclosures on the market nowadays still
use PATA.

        Stefan