[ltp] USB 2.0 external hard drives

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 May 2007 15:20:19 +0200

Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2007 schrieb Stephen R Laniel:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:55:46PM -0400, Donald B Altman wrote:
> > I use rsync for simple notebook backups, BTW.
>
> I strongly recommend against using rsync for backups. This
> scenario has happened to me before:
>
> 1) backup with rsync
> 2) change the file locally in some bad way
> 3) backup again with rsync
>
> Now the remote copy is hosed, as is the local one.
>
> What you want is a backup where you can roll back mistakes.
> Rdiff-backup is the tool for that job.

Hello Stephen!

Does rdiff-backup work stable and fast for you? I tried some months ago
and it gave me wierd error messages I do not remember anymore. I gave up
at that time as I want my backup utility to be absolutely reliable.

Well I wanted to use xattr and acl support, maybe should have disabled
that...

What are your experiences? What options for rdiff-backup do you use?

Regards,