[ltp] Backup solutions: faubackup (was: Re: USB 2.0 external hard drives)

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 May 2007 21:38:42 +0200

--=-b7DGPQIdU8mmCuaZANyf

On Di, 2007-05-01 at 15:48 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> I use rsync for simple notebook backups, BTW.
> > I strongly recommend against using rsync for backups. This
> > scenario has happened to me before:
> > 1) backup with rsync
> > 2) change the file locally in some bad way
> > 3) backup again with rsync
> > Now the remote copy is hosed, as is the local one.
> > What you want is a backup where you can roll back mistakes.
>=20
> Check The --backup and --backup-dir options to rsync.

I can also strongly recommend faubackup which is at least present in
debian as well as ubuntu.
It is very easy to understand and maintain and makes very reliable
incremental backups. Identical files are identified reliably and are
hardlinked for space saving. You always have a complete directory
structure available for every backup stage and therefor you can easily
copy back any file using your preferred file manager.

kind regards,
		Fionn

--=-b7DGPQIdU8mmCuaZANyf

--=-b7DGPQIdU8mmCuaZANyf--