[ltp] Backup solutions: faubackup (was: Re: USB 2.0 external hard drives)

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 3 May 2007 21:35:04 -0400

On 5/2/07, Brad Langhorst <brad@langhorst.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 21:38 +0200, Fionn Behrens wrote:
> > I can also strongly recommend faubackup which is at least present in
> > debian as well as ubuntu.
> > It is very easy to understand and maintain and makes very reliable
> > incremental backups. Identical files are identified reliably and are
> > hardlinked for space saving. You always have a complete directory
> > structure available for every backup stage and therefor you can easily
> > copy back any file using your preferred file manager.
>
> i second that... faubackup works great!
>
> brad

strange I'd not heard of this one yet.  I'm always looking for good
backup systems.

My personal favorite so far is rdiff-backup.  It sounds fairly similar
to faubackup, actually.  The twist is that it uses the rdiff binary
differencing engine to efficiently store the changes in files.  It
also makes use of hardlinks and compression.

rsync is used to transport files efficiently over the network, using
ssh as the transport mechanism.  Or, it can just work from local to
local filesystem.

It also supports acl's and extended attributes, which I occasionally
need for some samba servers I maintain.  It's amazing how many backup
systems still don't support these.

Oh, and the files you see in the rdiff-backup repository are the full
versions of what was last backed up, so you can browse and copy out
files without having to use rdiff-backup.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

--
Noah Dain
"The beatings will continue, until morale improves" - the Management