[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sat, 05 May 2007 19:07:33 +1000

--=-LSHZapJuzFmc1+1lHAIl

Hei,

On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 00:52 -0400, r8scq7b02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> My understanding of APS [Active Protection System] on supprting Thinkpad =
laptops is that the mechanism detects movement and when it reaches a critic=
al level, the APS, via software, parks the drive heads.
>=20
> However, according to the ThinkWiki problem page [1], there are problems =
with non-Thinkpad branded hard drives. To quote:
> Additionally, the following ATA commands are implemented by ThinkPad-bran=
ded drives but are not supported by most other laptop drives:=20
> UNLOAD IMMEDIATE (needed for the Active Protection System)=20
> SECURITY FEATURE SET (needed for disk password protection)
>=20
> Is this correct? How can other hard drives not be supported by APS if all=
 it does is park the heads, which every hard drive can do?
>=20
> Is UNLOAD IMMEDIATE something that exists in only a few hard drives? And =
is it even required for APS to function correctly as the ThinkWiki suggests=
?
>=20
> [1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_non-ThinkPad_hard_disks#Pr=
oblem_Description

AFAIK, the unload immediate command works quicker. The usual hd
suspending is somewhat slower. At least that's what i made up from what
i've gathered.

However, it also seems to me that newer hdaps versions fall back to the
normal suspend command.

IBM/Lenovo provides firmware patches for the harddrives they support to
implement the feature. These are usually hitachi drives.

Andr=C3=A9.

--=-LSHZapJuzFmc1+1lHAIl

--=-LSHZapJuzFmc1+1lHAIl--