[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Jon Escombe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 May 2007 15:54:59 +0100

r8scq7b02@sneakemail.com wrote:

> Thank you for that explanation. The reason for me asking all of this is
> because I would like to buy a non-Thinkpad (or non-Lenovo) hard drive. It
> appears now that I must dig a little deeper than I thought in the hard drive
> specifications to see if the hard drive supports what is needed by HDAPS.
>
> By any chance, does anyone know when the UNLOAD_IMMEDIATE specification became
> part of the ATA standard?
>
> And by ATA standard, SATA hard drives are also included in this, correct? Or
> is SATA a whole different ball game?
>
> Thank you.

I think it was first documented in the ATA-7 spec. SATA drives are included.

If you can get the drive into a machine, you'll be able to tell whether
it advertises support for the feature with hdparm -I. If you're just
looking to buy, the spec sheets for the drive itself might tell you?

Regards,
Jon.