[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sat, 5 May 2007 13:44:19 -0400

On Saturday 05 May 2007 12:09, Andr=C3=A9 Wyrw wrote:
> I'll replace it against a Toshiba or Hitachi as soon as
> i have money again.

I would highly recommend the following website:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

My reason for replacing the hard drive is simple: the current Toshiba is to=
o=20
loud. It has that audible annoying humming noise found in most laptops. My=
=20
previous laptop had a Fujitsu 4200rpm hard drive that was rated by the abov=
e=20
site as the best in terms of sound. It was also rated as one of the slowest=
=20
in the industry. All this was about 3-4 years ago and that site is still=20
going strong. The drive is "loose" now, and yet it still is of no compariso=
n=20
to the brand new Toshiba that came with the new Thinkpad.

My 3-4 year old Fujitsu is 1) too old and 2) PATA - which is not compatible=
=20
suitable for the new Thinkpad 3) small - 40gb.

My current choice is this:
Western Digital Scorpio WD1200BEVS
Review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article630-page1.html

I took all the top rated drives and downloaded the audio recording tests wh=
ich=20
are very well done (sound "proof" environment with quality hardware).=20
Examined and determined that the Scorpio would do best. It is louder than t=
he=20
Fujitsu, but nothing compares to that drive.

A good overview of the drives is here:
The above article has been an ongoing update since 2002.

I will now have to dig up the Scorpio datasheet and will probably find out=
=20
that it is not compatible with UNLOAD_IMMEDIATE. I guess my purchase decisi=
on=20
will be based on whether HDAPS or noise is more important. A very difficult=
=20
decision.

Thank you again.