[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 May 2007 14:28:03 -0400

On 5/5/07, Jon Escombe <lists@dresco.co.uk> wrote:
> The difference is between parking the heads with UNLOAD_IMMEDIATE and
> putting the drive into standby with STANDBY_IMMEDIATE - which also parks
> the heads - but is slower and causes more wear & tear on the drive.

Possibly worse: STANDBY IMMEDIATE may not unload the head fast enough.
Standby (i.e., spin-down) typically takes several seconds to complete,
and we don't know when during this process the heads are actually
unloaded. If it takes more than a few hundred milliseconds, it's of
dubious value for impact protection.

  Shem