[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sat, 5 May 2007 15:20:14 -0400

On Saturday 05 May 2007 14:43, Laurent Gilson wrote:
> Let's make it even more complex. There is a shock-proof and 100%
> slient storage: SSD. Big SSDs are still way too expensive but the
> price for smaller units (< 16GB) is coming down fast. Froogle
> is your friend.
>
> (I went the other way and made a compressed ramdisc-only linux.
> The HD only spins at startup/shutdown and if i process bigger
> files, like videos. Working with office, netbeans or surfing
> the web in total slience is a unreal but cool experience)

My knowledge is very limited, but the problem I see in regards SSD or NAND
flash is not only the price, but also the problem with reliability.
Recoverability on a NAND flash is almost non-existent. On a normal hard
drive, there are specific ways to get around bad sectors and other types of
problems that always crop up. The other problem that I see is regards to the
life-time of a NAND flash. Like a normal flash drive, using it as a normal
main file storage device where it is accessed constantly and under heavy load
will result in a much shorter life span than a normal hard drive.

The ramdisc idea is very interesting! I actually played around with this idea
and loved how some LiveCD distributions offered the "toram" switch.

Is it possible to suspend to ram and suspend to disk when using a ramdisc? And
how do you go about updates and installing new software? What about saving
data? What about if the computer needs to process more data than available
memory (such as copying a DVD)? I may be mistaken, but if you save to your
ramdisc then it is really not saved. Once you reboot that data is gone since
it was merely in memory.