[ltp] Does hdaps [APS] work on non-Thinkpad hard drives?

Sun, 06 May 2007 02:45:23 +0100

Jesse Welling wrote:
> I don't mean to pull every one off subject but has anyone used one of pqi's
> flash disks configured with ext3? The best place I found to get them was
> here <http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd_disk.asp>.
> I was thinking about getting one for my T60 (which is on the way).... I
> was just
> wondering about compatibility hardware wise (connectors, space) and if any
> one had used one and noticed any marked improvement in battery life or
> speed.
> That is enough improvement to justify the price tag (subjective I know
> but....)

If you had an IDE drive, then you can do this much cheaper - just buy a
compact-flash card, and a $3 adapter. I've done this with a 1GB card, on
an X20, and performance is quite good; it's also totally silent.

I think that you'll get better performance by spending the same money on
4GB of RAM. (and perhaps a 4GB USB key; then spin down the HDD). Linux
will make good use of the RAM.

Richard