[ltp] how to restore original MBR and partition table

Phil linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 11 May 2007 08:45:40 +0100

The XP recovery option will work, but you need to set the SATA drive
into 'compatible' mode before booting as the Windoze drivers don't
otherwise recognize the disk.
Boot into the setup screen by pressing the blue ThinkVantage button at
bootup, find the SATA controller option, set it to compatible and then
boot the Windoze disk.
Then you'll be able to use fixmbr.

If you have to install a clean XP you'll need to stay in compatible mode
until you've downloaded the Thinkpad T60 SATA drivers. Once they're
installed you can return to normal mode.

I found this out the hard way when I managed to trash my mbr.

Phil