[ltp] how to restore original MBR and partition table

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 May 2007 11:34:47 +0200

Igor V. Rafienko, 11-05-2007:

> on May 10, 2007, 17:52, Joe Zien wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>> I installed grub, the linux boot loader, in the MBR.
>

> Why did you do *that*?
>
> There is no reason to change the MBR. Leave it as it is, mark the
> partition with your /boot as the only active partition and install grub
> there. You and your windows installation would be much happier this way.

Some time ago I tried to do that, but the computer refused to boot (No OS
found, or something like that), so I had to add the /boot partition to the
windows boot menu (boot.ini). I don't know if this is something that
happens for all ThinkPads, or only for mine (R51), or if it's my fault
somehow. Still, I didn't touch the MBR.