[ltp] rebooting under heavy load

Richard Mittendorfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 May 2007 16:22:58 +0200

Also sprach Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> (Mon, 14 May 2007 15:25:29 +02=
00):
> Hi,

Hello,

> my Thinkpad R60 has problems with a large build job (building gcj-4.1 from
> source on Debian). I have attempted it three or four times, and every time
> the system just rebooted after a while (probably an hour or so). I suspect
> overheating. Has anyone experienced this? I will try to get temperature
> readings...

Looks like. You can get temperature with acpi or ibm-acpi easily (as
far as acpi works on your R60). There are trip-points, that, when
reached execute the halt/reboot (I think it's in-kernel, but maybe it's
acpid). For more detail see [1].

You can cat temperatures and trip_points
from /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM<nr>/temperature (acpi thermal kernel
module) or /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal (ibm-acpi/thinkpad-acpi kernmod).=20

Be sure the fan works correctly and to have good airflow -- the
computer stands on a flat, hard surface (preferable something w/ good
head-conducting ;)).=20

There are several monitors for GUI and CLI clients to keep an eye on
temperatures and cpu-speeds.=20

Also throttling down the CPU might help. As a last resort cleaning the
fan/heatsinks from dust may be worth a try.

AFAIK there's the possibility to adjust fanspeeds[2] as well on newer
TPs. That should surely be done with caution.

Don't know if this[3] is suitable on you CPU, but the thinkwiki site is
quite useful anyway.. :)

[1] http://acpi.sourceforge.net
[2] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
[3] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Pentium_M_undervolting_and_underclocking

My T20 goes up to 90=B0C when compiling, but the PIIIm seems to have
quite high max. specs (100=B0C from intels specsheets) and it stays below
trip_points at 92/96=B0C, even in afrika.. :) "normal" is around 45=B0C.

> Marcus

sl, ritch