[ltp] Re: rebooting under heavy load

Richard Mittendorfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 14 May 2007 22:00:46 +0200

Also sprach Marcus Better <marcus@better.se> (Mon, 14 May 2007 20:48:10 +0200):
> Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> >> I suspect overheating. Has anyone experienced this? I will try to
> >> get temperature readings...
> >
> > Looks like.
>
> Not sure anymore... /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature never went
> above 72 C. The laptop is standing on a flat wooden desk and is quite new,
> so there's not much dust. Still the build crashed after about one hour,
> with continuous disk activity, blank screen and an unresponsive system. I
> could reboot with the keyboard though.

Ok, doesn't look like overheating any more now.

Do you reboot with sysrq or by switching (blindly) to a console and
reboot there?

> > Also throttling down the CPU might help.
>
> Thanks, will give it a try.

This will not have any effect as it just may help in case of overheating.

Look through your logs, somehow sounds like your X breaks away (check
the old Xorg.0.log). Try to log in remotely, like already suggested...

> Marcus

sl, ritch