[ltp] how to restore original MBR and partition table

Joe Zien linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 May 2007 19:07:25 -0400

James PEARSON wrote:
> Hello
>
>> Joe Zien <jozien@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T60 Widescreen laptop that I dual boot
>> with XP and Linux, it worked great booting XP or linux.
>> I installed grub, the linux boot loader, in the MBR.
>> Before I repartitioned the hard drive to install linux,
>> I used the linux command "dd" to backup the MBR.
>>

> Been there - done that. If you don't have your recovery disks (make a set for the next
> time!) you can download the  Rescue and Recovery - Recovery repair diskette / CD using
> another computer and burn it to a CD.
>
> I got this from here so it is in the archives
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54483
>
> Lots of luck
> James

Thanks for the reply.

I did download rnr31_rrd.exe for win XP and created the boot floppy
using win 98SE.
The only problem is the ThinkPad T60 doesn't have a floppy drive
but I checked the bios and the ThinkPad can boot from a USB floppy,
I'll have to get one.

jozien