[ltp] Re: New PowerTOP utility for Linux 2.6.21+ from Intel

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 May 2007 11:29:10 +0100

--nextPart2053829.LDdesBP4HJ

On Monday 14 May 2007 18:28, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> "Shem Multinymous" <multinymous@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/14/07, Martin Milata <b42-ml@srck.net> wrote:
> >> What about checking accelerometer status only if hdd is actually
> >> spinning? Because when using laptop_mode, hdd is spun down most of the
> >> time, but hdapsd is doing it's work all the time. Is something like th=
at
> >> possible?
> >
> > Excellent idea. Caveats:
>
> Not quite as excellent as it seems at the first glance, I'm afraid. If
> something strange is going on, i.e., when some considerable
> acceleration is detected, I want hdapsd to prevent my hd from spinning
> up in the first place. Otherwise, you'd always run the risk that the
> disk spins up right in the middle of some accelerated motion and the

In that case you only need to start polling just before the spin-up.=20
Admittedly you might need a delay (500-1000ms) to get around periodic=20
bumping, but at least you still wouldn't be polling whil eth HD was spun=20
down.