[ltp] R51 won't boot - what to do?

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 May 2007 06:36:34 +0000

Oleg Sverdlov wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> my R51 one day did not show a bootsplash screen. This happened after
> some time in a car.
> No disks activity, no picture on the screen, only green LEDs.
> After some time it might boot once again, then I switch it off and
> next time it won't boot.
>
> The thinkpad is 2.5 yrs old.
>
> Is changing the motherboard the only option left?
>
> I was using kubuntu on the computer, may be something has damaged
> nvram or other sensitive part?
>

> Would appreciate any response.
>
> Oleg.

What the best thing to do depends on where you are. You dont say.
Also wether your experienced enough to open up the covers on the
underside and or remove the keyboard to unplug the memory chips and re
place them.
 It sounds like an intermittent contact problem, or an improper seating
main processor.
Go to the IBM lenovo website and download on another pc the hardware
maintenance manual. there you will find lots of help in doing the above.
 IF you dont feel confident in doing that then find a laptop service
engineer near you who can do this for you.
A replacement motherboard is the last resort.
 try every thing else first.