[ltp] R51 won't boot - what to do?

Oleg Sverdlov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 May 2007 09:49:56 +0200

--------------040103060802050000060706

Ted Frater wrote:
>> my R51 one day did not show a bootsplash screen. This happened after
>> some time in a car.
>> No disks activity, no picture on the screen, only green LEDs.
>> After some time it might boot once again, then I switch it off and
>> next time it won't boot.
>>
> Also wether your experienced enough to open up the covers on the
> underside and or remove the keyboard to unplug the memory chips and re
> place them.
>  It sounds like an intermittent contact problem, or an improper seating
> main processor.

Thanks Ted.
I don't have a problem opening the case. Will try it before considering
other options. An engineer told me about video chip and its FPGA
contacts problem. Certainly replacing the chip will be cheaper than the
motherboard.
"Where I am" are you asking about geographic position? I'm in Israel.

--
With best regards,
Oleg.

--------------040103060802050000060706

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Ted Frater wrote:
    <pre wrap="">
my R51 one day did not show a bootsplash screen. This happened after
some time in a car.
No disks activity, no picture on the screen, only green LEDs.
After some time it might boot once again, then I switch it off and
next time it won't boot.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap="">
Also wether your experienced enough to open up the covers on the
underside and or remove the keyboard to unplug the memory chips and re
place them.
 It sounds like an intermittent contact problem, or an improper seating
main processor.
  </pre>
Thanks Ted.<br>
I don't have a problem opening the case. Will try it before considering
other options. An engineer told me about video chip and its FPGA
contacts problem. Certainly replacing the chip will be cheaper than the
motherboard.<br>
"Where I am" are you asking about geographic position? I'm in Israel.<br>
Oleg.
<strong>OLS Software</strong> Websites Building, PHP Development.
<small><br>
Tel./Fax 03-613-2865 , mobile: 054-424-0865
URL <a href="http://www.ols.co.il">http://www.ols.co.il</a>
</small></div>

--------------040103060802050000060706--