[ltp] speedstep useful ?

Frédéric BOITEUX linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 May 2007 08:16:34 +0200

	Hello,

  I've recently bought a Thinkpad X31 and installed a Debian Etch on
it. It's my first laptop, and Debian Etch + ThinkWiki is a *very nice*
way to have a full usable portable Linux computer !

  One thing I wonder is whether the Speedstep system is really useful
or not : The Debian Etch didn't installed the speedstep_centrino nor
cpufreq_* modules, and the BIOS seems to put the processor in full speed
when on AC power and in low speed on batteries. Furthermore, I've tried
to install the modules and the gnome cpufreq applet, and this applet
don't react/blocks when the speedstep module is loaded.
  Is it a reason speedstep_centrino isn't loaded at boot time by Debian
system ?
  Does loading it can help in some way ? The only use I see is to
reduce cpu speed when idle on AC power to reduce heat : correct ?

  If you have any tips for a newbie, please tell me.

	With regards,

--
Frédéric Boiteux