[ltp] Brightness control on X60

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 May 2007 19:26:52 -0700

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 03:54:47PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > In fact, if I use /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness or
> > /sys/panel/backlight/*/brightness to adjust the backlight, it works
> > perfectly -- doesn't affect X at all.  So a workaround would be to
>
> Well, if ibm-acpi seems to be working, check if the ACPI video module is
> loaded, and if it is, try removing it *before* starting X for the first
> time.
>
> Does that fix the issue?

Ah-hah, removing the ACPI video driver does indeed seem to fix the
problem.

Now when I press the "up brightness" key the brightness goes all the
way to maximum (smoothly passing through intermediate stages for a
nice fading effect), and if I press the "down brightness" key it does
similarly to the minimum.  If I hit the key quickly twice in
succession, it will stop at an intermediate level.  ...Is this how
it's supposed to work?

-- Nathaniel

--
In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music