[ltp] fan, old, Always-on problem. thinkwiki need some corrections.

Sun, 27 May 2007 10:53:55 -0300

On Sun, 27 May 2007, Alexey Fisher wrote:
> >> make the trick. Disabling speedstep in BIOS and using kernel
> >> speedstep_module make a workaround for my thinkpad t43.
> >
> > How does the T43 act when you do this?
>
> Normally, if bios_speedstep enabled, CPU sensor will get 47C ( or any
> other sensors will get max Tmp.) and enable fan and never torn it off
> even if all of sensor show less then 38C.
>
> If bios_speedstep disabled but linux_speedstep instead, CPU after CPU
> sensor get 47C fan is enabled and after CPU Tmp less then 42C it will
> disable the fan.

Sounds safe.  I am doing that on my T43 right now, we will have two
datasets, then.

> May be it is the best way on linux only system. So nobody need to do
> some voodoo-boodoo things ;) . Or i need to go Hogwarts and learn some
> introduction to black magick

Well, Harry Potter-style wimpy wizards are useless.  You'd need to learn
magic from a Technomancer universe, instead (like the one described in this:
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/technomancer/ ).

  Henrique Holschuh