[ltp] Wireless hardware radio switch does not work on X60s

Wed, 30 May 2007 17:16:11 -0400

Hello,

The X60s, and I assume X60, has a switch below the keyboard to turn on and
turn off the wireless network card. However, the switch does not seem to
affect the wireless card whatsoever. The wireless card is always on. Is this
to be expected? I had thought that this switch was "hardware" driven and does
not rely on a software impementation such as ibm-acpi.

Please note that this switch is below the keyboard, on the front side. In
fact, because of the angle of the side, it looks almost as if it were placed
on the bottom side of the laptop. It looks similar to the R60 hardware radio
switch [1], but without color. For whatever reason the hardware manual does
not mention this switch.

All hardware is stock Lenovo, so there is no non-Lenovo wireless card.

dmesg says nothing about the switch being switched on/off.

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Image:Wireless-switch.png