[ltp] Wireless hardware radio switch does not work on X60s

Wed, 30 May 2007 22:13:38 -0300

On Wed, 30 May 2007, r8scq7b02@sneakemail.com wrote:
> affect the wireless card whatsoever. The wireless card is always on. Is this

Did you check if it is really transmitting and receiving?  I.e. can you
associate and use the wireless network with the switch in the OFF position?

> to be expected? I had thought that this switch was "hardware" driven and does
> not rely on a software impementation such as ibm-acpi.

AFAIK, it is hardware driven.  On the T43, it's bios equivalent switch does
something to the IPW2915 card that causes the Intel driver to flag that a
hardware rf kill switch is active (and you cannot override that).

> switch [1], but without color. For whatever reason the hardware manual does
> not mention this switch.

Lenovo is not IBM, and doesn't even come close.  I wish I could say they are
working at it, but I don't see that, either.

> All hardware is stock Lenovo, so there is no non-Lenovo wireless card.
>
> dmesg says nothing about the switch being switched on/off.

It won't, but see if the wireless card driver has a rfkill sysfs attribute
(Intel cards should), and what it says.

  Henrique Holschuh