[ltp] Wireless hardware radio switch does not work on X60s

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 31 May 2007 14:52:17 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2007, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 May 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > Lenovo is starting to break the firmware backwards compatibility right and
> > > left, which has me worried (but it might be a good thing if they make it
> > > less braindead and then *stick* to the new interface for five years or so
> > > without breaking it).  Linux support for the X60 is schizophrenic because of
> > > that, right now.
> > hm, i own a X60s and updated the bios two days ago to the latest. I for me
> > believe everything is working just fine on my laptop. And i read the list,
> > and i know the video module is broken, but i never got it, why i need this
> > module.. for my current kernels i don't even build the module.
> That's good to know.  Do you have bluetooth and wwan? If so, could you test
> if disabling/enabling them works?

wlan enable/disable works
ah ok .. bluetooth dosen't work anymore (so i missed this)

> Also, could you test if *all* hotkeys are being reported properly?  You just
> need to echo 0xffff >/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey and run acpi_listen, and then
> press each hotkey...
f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9,f11,f12 all execpt f10 produce an acpi event
mute,up,low, access work via thinkpad-keys
light works, but doesn't generate an event
brightness up/down produce an acpi event
fn+space, is doing nothing
stop,play/pause,forward,backword also work via thinkpad-keys

> > i don't use hdaps and tcpa (but tcpa is found on my system)
> > and is use debian/unstable + 2.6.21.3
>
> HDAPS will just work if you use Shem's excelent work (tp-smapi).  No idea
> about tpca, but it will probably just work as well.
i talked with him about months ago that and he patched my model .. so it should work.

> > so i for my terms cannot follow your statements that everything is going bad.
> I sure hope I am wrong on the other accounts too, as I will want something
> more powerful than my T43 in a few years down the road...

and i do like the new models, where instead of ati an nvidia card is builtin.
hopefully the support gets better for those.

> > i owned an iBook, and a T42, and clearly the X60s is the best supported
> > notebook under linux, i ever found. And some things do even work better
> > under linux than windows..
> Actually, the T42 should be the best supported notebook of the entire
> Thinkpad series nowadays, since it doesn't have weird hardware like the T43
> has, and its EC firmware is out there in partially commented source form for
> anyone to hack if they so desire (like the T43, and unlike the *60).  But as
> long as everything you need works just fine, I am happy :-)
yes.. bluetooth is indeed a drawback, but .. i didn't miss it for weeks.. so
its not important for me.

> > > They have removed very relevant high-end functionality from the Windows
> > > thinkvantage suite (a lot of the crypto support being removed is the one I
> > > noticed immediately, but maybe other stuff was removed too).
> > i have to use some of these stuff, and the new thinkvantage tools are a LOT
> > better than the old ones. They removed many features which no one ever needed.
> > Like the IBM message center..
> I don't want any "features which no one ever needed" being removed, that's
> where they will end up removing the really cool stuff that makes a ThinkPad
> a ThinkPad...  and we end up with a (shudder) Lenovo C-series.

removed is a strong word..
the crypto stuff from ibm is removed
the crypto from ibm (tcpa) is added..
i like the later, because the api is open..

--
Florian Reitmeir