[ltp] Brightness and Suspend on T61 6459-CTO

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:30:32 -0700

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:21:19 -0400
"Joseph Xu" <josephzxu@gmail.com> dijo:

> I think the brightness not working is due to some problems in the
> proprietary nvidia drivers. I've tried to contact nvidia about this
> before but they've been unresponsive. Save yourself the trouble and
> just use the vesa driver. Brightness works for me fine using Fn+Home,
> Fn+End without any special settings. You can always switch back to the
> nvidia driver if you need high performance for gaming or such.

VESA is not an option for me, as I  need 1680 x 1050 all the time. I
did discover a way to do it. If you exit X to a command line
(Ctrl-Alt-F1) then the buttons work. However, you won't see the change
until you go back to the screen (Ctrl-Alt-F7). It's inconvenient, but
at least you can do it.

There is a lot more information about getting things working on the T61
in this link to a thread in the Ubuntu forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587922&page=1

I now have everything working on my T61 (6460) except
hibernate/suspend, and I'm going to try the suggestions in the last
couple of posts on the above link later today.