[ltp] Power drain with radeonfb and fbcon built in

Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:30:35 +0200

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 05:47:03PM +0100, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> At Sun, 4 Nov 2007 16:16:12 +0200,
> Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > The important bit is: do you get a "radeonfb (...): switching to D2
> > state..." message as well?
>=20
> Yes, I do.
>=20
> > How much power does it draw while suspended?
>=20
> Sun Nov  4 12:44:53 CET 2007
> before: 46450 mWh
> after:  mWh

This does not seem to be right.  The number is just missing, and all the
subsequent calculations are suspect (and 39 Watt is a ridiculously high
number, the laptop uses half of that when not suspended).

> diff: -46450 mWh
> seconds: 4229 sec
> result: -39541 mW
> Your model seems to be affected.
>
> > Then I got a T61 and never tried Gutsy on the T42.  My coworker
> > currently has Gutsy installed on it, I can ask him if he has any power
> > drain problems.
>=20
> That'd be great.  I assume that many people don't realize right away
> that they have this problem.

The easiest way to detect is to leave the laptop suspended overnight.
If you find it dead in the morning, you have a problem.

> Although, a noticeable indication, aside
> from poor battery performance and sleep.sh, is that the laptop stays
> quite warm during Suspend to RAM.  That's surely not good for the
> battery.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Go not unto the Usenet for advice, for you will be told both yea and nay (a=
nd
quite a few things that just have nothing at all to do with the question).

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP--