[ltp] Alarming boot messages...

paul marwick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:26:18 +0000

Richard wrote:

> What that means is the USB hub is reporting excess current draw from
> connected devices. In general, a USB port may provide only 500mA of
> current, and connected devices are expected to be "well behaved"*. If
> you use an unpowered hub, then each branch can only draw 100mA.
>
> lsusb -v will tell you more.
>

> I'm guessing you have too many connected USB devices, and inadequate
> power?

Hmm. That makes it even stranger, since its only occurring during boot,
when I have no USB devices plugged in. I'll plug in something and see if
any new messages appear....

> * Each device is allowed to draw 100mA with no interaction. If it
> wants more (up to 500mA), it must request it from the hub in software,
> and only take what is granted. Badly behaved devices (eg USB
> coffee-cup warmers) don't conform to the spec.
I was made a bit nervous by reports of problems with Tx USB, which is
one of the reasons I asked. I'm very happy with the T40, and don't want
to have to look for a new mainboard or a replacement laptop..

Thanks for the reply

Regards, Paul