[ltp] Alarming boot messages...

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:51:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, paul marwick wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>
>> What that means is the USB hub is reporting excess current draw from
>> connected devices. In general, a USB port may provide only 500mA of
>> current, and connected devices are expected to be "well behaved"*. If you
>> use an unpowered hub, then each branch can only draw 100mA.
>>
>> lsusb -v will tell you more.
>>

>> I'm guessing you have too many connected USB devices, and inadequate power?
>
> Hmm. That makes it even stranger, since its only occurring during boot, when
> I have no USB devices plugged in. I'll plug in something and see if any new
> messages appear....

IIRC, some of the internal peripherals (Bluetooth, synaptics, ultraport,
fingerprint reader) are USB, so you do essentially have several devices.

The good news is that this is just a warning message. If nothing bad
actually happens, you can probably ignore it. My guess is that the problem
has been there all along, but you've just started to use a distro/kernel
version that actually notifies you in an obvious manner.

Richard