[ltp] Re: Dual Monitor no longer working with Gutsy on T60p FireGL

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:52:19 -0500

on Sun Nov 04 2007, Bill Moseley <moseley-AT-hank.org> wrote:

> Just curious if anyone has any suggestions about this.
>
> I'm using ATI's fglrx driver (included with Gutsy) on the T60p's ATI
> FireGL.

Wow, I've heard of so many problems with Gutsy and the T60p that I
have been afraid to upgrade.  Looking forward to dynticks, though.

> I had dual monitors working fine with Ubuntu Feisty.  It was not
> Xinerama, and, well, it just worked so I don't remember any difficulty
> setting it up.

>From what I understand, it is actually Xinerama; the ATI stuff just
uses it under the covers.  So I've been told, anyway.

> I'm using GNOME session manager.
>
> With Feisty the second monitor would start with the same desktop as
> the LCD.

You want it to be a mirror, or an extension, of the LCD?

> With Gusty the second monitor starts (I can move the mouse onto the
> second scree, but it's justs a blank xorg screen without a window
> manager running.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand *how* the window manager is
> suppose to start on the second monitor normally (GNOME issue?) so I'm
> not sure where to look.  But, the fact that xorg is running on the
> second monitor makes me think this is a minor configuration issue.

have you done

  aticonfig --initial

and

  aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1