[ltp] Re: Dual Monitor no longer working with Gutsy on T60p FireGL

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:31:06 -0800

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:52:19AM -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> Wow, I've heard of so many problems with Gutsy and the T60p that I
> have been afraid to upgrade.  Looking forward to dynticks, though.

Well, I wanted to upgrade mostly because wireless didn't work right in
Feisty and was reported to be fixed in Gutsy -- namely very often
disconnects/reconnects with Network Manager.

Gutsy did fix the frequent disconnects, and has also seemed to reduce
the wireless-related panic "Dazed and Confused" (stray NMI on PCI bus,
IIRC).

But, yes, broke a bunch of other stuff I was not expecting.  Much of
it resolved for me now.

> > I had dual monitors working fine with Ubuntu Feisty.  It was not
> > Xinerama, and, well, it just worked so I don't remember any difficulty
> > setting it up.
>
> >From what I understand, it is actually Xinerama; the ATI stuff just
> uses it under the covers.  So I've been told, anyway.

No, I don't think that's true.  I failed to keep notes on setting it
up as I remember it was unexpectedly easy to set up.

It's two different screens and (can be) two different resolutions.  I
know that doesn't exclude Xinerama, but you can't drag windows between
the screens (which is not great).  I kind of remember reading some
place why you would not want Xinerama on this machine.

> > I'm using GNOME session manager.
> >
> > With Feisty the second monitor would start with the same desktop as
> > the LCD.
>
> You want it to be a mirror, or an extension, of the LCD?

Not a mirror, although that would be handy at times for demos (instead
of presentations) and I see the GNOME Screens utility can select
mirror as an options.

What I don't understand is how GNOME achieve that control.

> have you done
>
>   aticonfig --initial
>
> and
>
>   aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1

Yes, that's how I created my xorg.conf file that I'm using now.

But, now when I run it on the T60p aticonfig dumps core.  :-(

$ sudo aticonfig --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1
[sudo] password for moseley:
ati_dm: FGLRX_EnableDisplays failed when try to enable display: 3.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-5
*** glibc detected *** aticonfig: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0xbf92ab0f ***

Maybe I'll download the very latest ATI binary driver and see if that
helps.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org