[ltp] hotkey_mask on t40 with thinkpad-acpi 0.18-20071013

Mon, 5 Nov 2007 18:03:00 -0200

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007, Jan Taegert wrote:
> The Fn-F[1-12] hotkeys work like a charme here (thinkpad t40 on
> debian sid, kernel 2.6.23 and thinkpad-acpi 0.18-20071013). Even without
> any polling, which saves me about 20 CPU wakeups (@ Henrique de Moraes
> Holschuh: thanks a lot for your good work!).

Any thinkpad T4x can have *full* complete hotkey support in ACPI event mode
(i.e. no polling) as long as you use the latest BIOS :)

And since the T42 BIOS is the same as the T40, T40 owners had a *real* sweet
deal on BIOS upgrades.  Nothing like what you get nowadays.

> Volume up/down/mute, brightness up/down, Thinklight and AccessIBM
> however are only working, when I set the hotkey_mask to 0x00ffffff
> (hotkey_all_mask), which is warned against on some place.

Why would you want to enable volume up/down and brightness up/down reporting
on a T4x?  The BIOS *always* handles them, no matter what you do, so they
always just work (or just break horribly :p).

If it is for on-screen-display purposes, well, the proper solution for that
one is not on the kernel yet.  The improper solution is to use 0x00ffffff
for the mask and a HAL config that knows that volume up/down/mute and
brightness up/down from a T40 thinkpad are to be used only for
on-screen-display.

  Henrique Holschuh