[ltp] SOLVED Re: Dual Monitor no longer working with Gutsy on T60p FireGL

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:33:13 -0800

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:09:04PM -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> > No, I don't think that's true.  I failed to keep notes on setting it
> > up as I remember it was unexpectedly easy to set up.
>
> What you had to do for setup has little to do with whether it's
> Xinerama under the covers.
>
>    $ grep Xinerama /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>    (II) fglrx(0): Initialized in-driver Xinerama extension

IIUC, that's just loading the extension, not enabling it.  If I added

    option  "Xinerama" "on"

or used +Xinerama to startx then X won't even start.

> > What I don't understand is how GNOME achieve that control.
>
> Forget gnome.

Yes, that option doesn't work to set the screens, but the "Screen
Resolution" does allow setting of the resolution of both screens while
running.

> If you don't want a mirror, you want something like
>
>    aticonfig --initial --dtop=horizontal --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1

Not sure you want --initial there, but anyway that's what I had.

Here's how the problem was solved:

The update to Gusty included a new fglrx driver and support for xgl
(to support Compiz).  Disabling Compiz did not fix this problem, but
disabling xgl does.  This is done by creating a "disable" file:

    moseley@tiger:~$ ls .config/xserver-xgl/
    disable

Installing the newest ATI driver probably would have fixed this
without knowing what the cause was as the new driver no longer uses
xgl but AIGLX so xgl would have been removed.

There's some issues/complaints about the newest version of the ATI
driver, so I'm not sure I'm willing to upgrade just yet.

The upgrade to Gusty also supposedly exposed an existing bug in the
ATI drivers that prevent suspend and hibernate from working.  Indeed,
if I boot w/o running X suspend and hibernate work.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org