[ltp] Feisty to Gutsy dist-upgrade

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 12:11:07 +0100

Hi Phil, all !

Phil wrote:
> I'm keen to upgrade my Feisty installation to Gutsy, but nervous as a=20
> working environment is vital.

Create a second system partition and install Gutsy there, to get a dual=20
(or multi) boot setup.
This way, you can continue to use your existing installation for "real"=20
work while checking whether the new one has any drawbacks/gotchas,
and simply boot the new one for your work when you are content with its=20
features and settings.

> [[...]]
> Can anyone who's performed this upgrade summarise any issues they've=20
> had, if any?

I'm no Debian user, so I have no specific hints,
but I used the dual boot approach for my SuSE upgrade:
I had 9.3 working and tried 10.2 in another partition on my R51, but=20
"knetworkmanager" would not work - no problem, for WLAN I had my 9.3 on=20
the other partition.
Then I installed 10.3 over 10.2, did all necessary configurations, and=20
now I don't boot 9.3 any more.
On my next upgrade, I will put the new version on the 9.3 partition.

Regards,
J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de