[ltp] hotkey_mask on t40 with thinkpad-acpi 0.18-20071013

Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:39:08 -0200

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007, Jan Taegert wrote:
> > If it is for on-screen-display purposes, well, the proper solution for that
> > one is not on the kernel yet.  The improper solution is to use 0x00ffffff
> > for the mask and a HAL config that knows that volume up/down/mute and
> > brightness up/down from a T40 thinkpad are to be used only for
> > on-screen-display.
>
> You're right, actually I need it only to link the volume buttons to
> alsamixer/gnome-volume-control. As far as I know the signal from the

You cannot do that in a way that will work right now.  You would control the
volume output twice (unless you are using the output of a dock or extender,
which is not subject to the internal thinkpad mixer), but that reduces the
number of levels in half and can cause some nastiness...

I recommend mapping a different set of keys to use as volume up/down/mute
for the AC97 or HDA mixers.  You certainly have a lot of them available in
the T40 :-)

> thinkpad-acpi module (or one of those nice cpu-wakeup daemons ) is the
> only way to get this working. Maybe you know any better solution.

It is "Don't Do It" on anything older than a T61 or R61. And those do it
without going through thinkpad-acpi anyway, so it is always "Don't Do It".

Unless you hack the ACPI DSDT table, to have your thinkpad work differently
from the rest, that is.

> So I will leave it now as it is as it just works (even though I don't
> know exactly why ;) ). Interestingly I must have the hal config you
> mentioned above: With thinkpad-keys, one of these nvram polling daemons,
> gnome-power-manager turns completely unusable, maybe because pressing
> the brightness keys adjusts the backlight two times: one through the
> bios, a second from gpm itself. However, with hotkey_all_mask set it
> gives me on-screen-feedback and works how it's supposed to do.

Are you using Ubuntu?

  Henrique Holschuh