[ltp] Feisty to Gutsy dist-upgrade

Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:50:31 +0200

--St7VIuEGZ6dlpu13

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:17:11AM +0000, Phil wrote:
> I'm keen to upgrade my Feisty installation to Gutsy, but nervous as a=20
> working environment is vital.
> I'm running a T60 with ATI Radeon Mobility X1400, and Intel Pro/Wireless=
=20
> 3945ABG wireless card.
> Can anyone who's performed this upgrade summarise any issues they've had,=
=20
> if any?

Ubuntu's release notes[1] say that the binary fglrx driver breaks
suspend/resume.

  [1] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710

> Feisty is running fine, it suspends/resumes (most of the time!), and all=
=20
> the special keys that I care about work (including brightness) and I don'=
t=20
> believe it has suspend power consumption issues.
>
> I also want to keep twin-head working. I'm currently using fglrx and=20
> although it took some experimentation it's now working fine with extended=
=20
> desktop over ldc and external monitor, and I can happily switch between=
=20
> single-head and dual-head without restarting X. I wouldn't want to lose=
=20
> this functionality.

I've also seen emails of people fighting with fglrx and dualhead on
Gutsy.  I didn't pay much attention, because I never used fglrx.

If you can use the open-source radeon driver with this card, everything
should work, including the switches between single-head and dual-head
without restarting X.  Only I don't know how well the open driver
supports the X1400.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
99 little bugs in the code,