[ltp] Re: Reverse "Unauthorized network card" patch

Elias Oltmanns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 07 Nov 2007 14:25:39 +0100

Sebastian Luettich <order+ltp@mediman.org> wrote:
> =A1Ola!
>
> I patched my R51 with the forementioned WiFi patch to turn of the
> whitelist check.  It works like a charm, I can run my Atheros card.
>
> Sadly, the STR doesn't work anymore.  At first I suspected the madwifi
> driver, so I changed the wifi back to the 2200bg, but still the notebook
> won't wake up.  Screen stays black, no ssh access, no response to
> hotkeys, no reboot possible.
>
> I like the STR more than using different wifi cards, but I'm a C-moron.
>
> Could someone supply a "Unbreaking Ur Thinkpad f=F8r D=FCmmies" patch, or

And what kind of a patch would that be in plain English?

> tell me what I have to change in the source from
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_c=
ard

Change in the source to achieve what exactly?

Look, I really don't want to insult you but you may have realised by now
that there may be just a little bit more to messing around with CMOS
than you had bargained for. I, for one, couldn't possibly tell whether
turning a bit in CMOS on and turning it off some time later really
restores the original state of a system in all cases; and I wouldn't be
surprised if it didn't either. Besides, it is perfectly possible that
your change merely triggered a bug in the kernel's suspend code that has
been there all along. Since you have tried to use an undocumented
feature, it is hard to assess its consequences and to tell for sure
whether the BIOS or the OS is to blame for any kind of strange behaviour
afterwards. Especially so, I'm inclined to add, if you're not even
prepared to tell us the kernel version.

Unless someone more knowledgeable comes up with another idea and if you
really want to try your luck by simply unsetting that bit in the BIOS,
the change to that code snippet I think you're referring to seems easy
enough: Just change the line

  data |=3D 0x80;

to read like this:

  data &=3D~ 0x80;

*Don't* blame me if your machine behaves even stranger afterwards.

Regards,

Elias