[ltp] Re: Reverse "Unauthorized network card" patch

Sebastian Luettich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:40:25 +0100

Elias Oltmanns scripsit:
>Sebastian Luettich <order+ltp@mediman.org> wrote:

>> Could someone supply a "Unbreaking Ur Thinkpad fĝr Dümmies" patch, or
>
>And what kind of a patch would that be in plain English?

As I mentioned before, I applied the patch to disable the
whitelist-check.

>> tell me what I have to change in the source from
>>
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card
>
>Change in the source to achieve what exactly?

To reverse the change.

>Look, I really don't want to insult you but you may have realised by now
>that there may be just a little bit more to messing around with CMOS

I've read the informations regarding messing with the cmos thoroughly
and was fully aware of the fact that I could render my notebook
completely useless.  Fortunately this didn't happen but I registered a
glitch which made me think about reversing the change.

>than you had bargained for. I, for one, couldn't possibly tell whether
>turning a bit in CMOS on and turning it off some time later really
>restores the original state of a system in all cases; and I wouldn't be
>surprised if it didn't either. Besides, it is perfectly possible that
>your change merely triggered a bug in the kernel's suspend code that has
>been there all along. Since you have tried to use an undocumented
>feature, it is hard to assess its consequences and to tell for sure
>whether the BIOS or the OS is to blame for any kind of strange behaviour
>afterwards. Especially so, I'm inclined to add, if you're not even
>prepared to tell us the kernel version.

I understand your argumentation and yes, you're right.  There could be
unpredictable consequences and I _never_ expected a solution for my
risky adventure.  And yes, it's important to know the kernel version and
the included modules to resolve the problem in a way different to just
undoing the patch.

On the other hand, IMHO for resetting the nvram to its original state I
still have doubts about the importance of the uname output.

I gladly provide any information but I try to understand, at least
partially, the solution process.

Thanks for your help.  I'll give it a try.

regards, Sı